tractor

tractor
At Plum Loco Ranch, Door County, WI.

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Stash Report week 28

It's been quite a week of heat here.  My days begin around 6AM so I can walk the dog before 7AM and get the garden watered before 8AM.  Since we live in "the armpit of the gardening world,"  it's not vegetables that I grow but lots of shrubs and perennials, many of which are native.  


Our grass is dormant and sounds like straw when we walk on it.  It rained some last night and our temps are a little lower today with chances of rain.  The cloudy skies certainly do provide some relief.


In the midst of the heat, I did stay in and get some sewing done.  However, there are no finishes to report.  I have about 6 projects sitting around my basement corner.  Three of them need to be quilted, one needs binding.  And you know what?  I just don't "feel" like it.  Ever have that happen?  I don't know if the early mornings, or if it's the heat, or if it's dealing with Grandma's estate, but I just don't have it in me to finish anything these days.


Yesterday I received a box of batik scraps from Leona of Leona's Quilting Adventure.  They are so pretty I had to do something with them.  So,  I found a string block tutorial at Loose Threads and grabbed the little phone book I set aside ages ago to try this technique.  There's also a tutorial for chevron string blocks that I'd like to try.




The scraps were small, so were my phone book pages, and I have two 6.5" square rulers.  So, I decided to make my blocks 6.5".  I have absolutely no plan for these.  It was just sewing to use up some scraps.













I received 4 more hexies from the Inchy Hexagon Swap, which I left this month.  Aren't they pretty?


So I added a few more to the big piece one evening while watching tv with DH.










Then I finally quilted the sashing and borders on the Disappearing 9 Patch topper.  


I plan to turn the backing to the front for a self binding, when I feel like doing all the precise measuring and trimming.


Nothing fancy, just loops that sometimes look even and sometimes, do not!




Last Sunday afternoon I grabbed the Friendship Quilt blocks out of the closet and decided to get it into quarters, ready to quilt in sections via the Marti Michel method.  


These are fabrics that we traded in a class at the Viking sewing center in 2010 (that's a long time).  As I was pressing, look at what happened!


This piece wasn't all cotton, obviously. So, 30 minutes later, after cleaning my iron, unsewing, and resewing this quadrant was finished.











What keeps you busy in the heat wave?


To the numbers:
Used this week: .75 (gifted)
Used year to date: 20.775

Added this week (purchased/won): 0
Added this week (inherited/gifted): .75

Added year to date (purchased/won): 26.681
Added year to date (inherited/gifted): 65.75


Added year to date total: 92.431
Net used for 2012: -71.656


Please click over to Patchwork Times and see other stash reports. (**Judy's been having technical difficulties so the link may not work this week.)

Have a great week!




7 comments:

  1. I'm down in Chicago - all week I've been a prisoner in my one room that has a/c. Thankfully it's the bedroom for sleeping, but not so good for the rest of the day. I can only take so much handstitching. It IS the heat that is making us logy. It's too hot to run the puter - too hot to eat - too hot to even think. Thankfully, the wind has shifted to the NE today. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear. Maybe I should run and duck when I say the heat hasn't come here yet. We have it later in the year - and like Sequana, I'll be sitting in our one room that has a/c. Those are fab batik scraps - I use those for applique. The blocks look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun things you've got going on! I love the batik strings, especially!! Stay cool as you can in this heat!! We're keeping our fingers crossed for rain ... pop-up showers are all around us, but still not a single drop here. Even the dust is dusty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the batik string block. And you have been busy in the midst of all this heat. Drinking plenty of water and hoping for rain hot but not as bad as it has been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Batik string blocks and hexies look awesome! Try to stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The string blocks turned out great. It's hot here too, the only thing to do is barricade myself in the sewing room which has air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your scrap batik string blocks. I find myself doing a lot of these when I can't focus on the more intense piecing blocks. They all turn out so well. I think your hexies are good good. That is one project that I'll leave to you and Bonnie Hunter.!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message. I love to hear from you.