tractor

tractor
At Plum Loco Ranch, Door County, WI.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Some QOV's (Stash Report Week 16)

CCL Dreamcatcher.jpg
DS's dreamcatcher in the school district art show - he's very proud!
Hello!

It's spring here, again, a little chilly but we didn't float away in all the rains that came a few days ago.  Some communities in our region cannot say that between rising waters on the Mississippi and the flash flooding of smaller creeks.

A correction from last week:  From memory (that says it all!), I wrote that Bonnie Hunter's method for calculating scrappy quilt top yardage was to multiply the backing yardage by 1.5.  Wrong --- she multiplies it by .25 (or 25%) and adds that to the backing yardage.  So, my QOV from last week actually used 4.5 (.25) = 1.125 + 4.5 = 5.625 (top) + 4.5 (back) = 10.125 total. The numbers are adjusted!


QOV finished


Quilty friend Cheri donated her quilting prowess to my scrappy Pineapple Blossom QOV.

And I finished the pillow case quickly one evening this week.  All three fabrics in the case are from Tonya's shop at Ozark Fabric. You can see two of them in the quilt - the red border and the white background.







QOV 2


Cheri also gave me two more QOVs that she and quilty friend Gale pieced. Yes, these are rather feminine, as Cheri says, "women serve, too." These three quilts will be delivered to Dar at our guild meeting Tuesday night.








Other fun finishes include the cute table runner that did not get put away in one of my drawers to languish for years after the shop hop.

Fig tree table runner
It's adorable, I think!  I used the thermore batting from Hobbs so it's super thin and I can set something on it without fear of it being wobbly.

I also used Marti Michell's method of pillow turning that I stumbled upon in one of her Marti & Me class patterns rather than binding it.  When I've turned quilted things I've always put all three layers together, then turned.

Marti instructs us to piece the back so that there is a whole for turning in the center (make it the same size as the top), much like the method that Ricky Tims uses.  Press and stitch the top and back together first (right sides together) using a 1/4" seam and pinning well.  Then, add batting that is the same size as the top and back. Clip the batting in the corners so that it is just out of the corner seams.  Stitch the batting to the other pieces with an 1/8" seam, clip the corners a bit, turn, and press.

At no spot on this runner did the back want to show to the front, as often happens when stitching all 3 payers at once.  However, it's still a good idea to pin and then topstitch around the edge.  I used a bit of Stitch Witch fusible web under the turning seam on the back to hold it together while quilting.  Marti suggested pin basting the remainder of the project, which I did, and finally, quilt as desired.


Blue Birds wall hanging
Another little finish for this week is my bird applique wall hanging.  I took this class last fall and it had been hand appliqued for a good while.

I added some embellishing stitches during a car trip last month and finally quilted it using 50 wt aurifil thread and wool batting.  LOVE the wool batting!




There are 3 quilts I've not shown you since Cheri them quilted for me.  I have the binding on DS's Dresden plate but not stitched on the back and need to get cracking on the two queen size quilts, Apple Cider BOM and Uncle Sam's Jacob's Ladder.  I used wool batting in the Apple Cider BOM and it is so light - love it.  Seriously, if anyone around here carried it, I would put wool in all my quilts.  Guess I'll be stocking up at Connecting Threads' next batting sale


To the numbers:
Used this week: 2.5
Used YTD: 56.625
Added this week: 0
Added YTD: 42.25
Net used YTD: 13.405

Check out some more stash reports at Judy's Patchwork Times.

Have a great week!





2 comments:

  1. Kris, Your QOV is gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for such a wonderful gift. The other projects you showed are just wonderful. I particularly love your tablerunner and the explanation for how you put it together using Marti's method. You should consider doing a demo for us at guild. Unfortunately I will be in Paducah next week. Will call you. Again, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful quilts and I love your table runner! We are surviving the flooding along the Mississippi in Iowa and hopefully it is supposed to crest and start down. Mess in the front yard BUT not in the house!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message. I love to hear from you.