tractor

tractor
At Plum Loco Ranch, Door County, WI.

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day! (Hexies & Stash Report Week 19)

Happy Mother's Day!

We celebrated with my mom yesterday and gave her the sewing machine cover made from my grandma's scraps.  She found some scraps that my aunt, also deceased, had given to Grandma so it had lots of memories for her.

machine cover.jpg

Since we went out for breakfast yesterday and out for dinner a few days ago for my birthday, I sent DH some recipes and requested a meal at home.  I don't know about you, but there's not many sites sexier than a man working in the kitchen!

I did a bit of handwork this week.  Angie and Billie are doing a Friday linky party for Hexie Friday.  It's not Friday, but the linky is still up and Angie is having a giveaway, so here are some of my evening stitches:

Finally, I did an "AHHH!"  Check out Tonya's new website for ordering these fun EPP creations.  There are lots from which to choose.

AHHH -1

I have another of these and will use a light, medium, and dark blues to get a 3d effect, like a tumbling block.


Hexie add ons.jpg




Then, I worked on the 1" hexies.  Basted a few and added a few more pieces to large unit.













Finally, last weekend I worked up some square in a square blocks to go with some string blocks to make some everyday placemats.  I may get to these this afternoon.
placemats 1


For my birthday my mom and stepdad brought me some Fairy Frost FQs and some quilting thread.  My mom isn't a quilter and I didn't have the heart to tell her that it's hand quilting thread - and I don't really hand quilt.

Fairy frost FQs

However, they also brought me a straight stitch plate that fits both my Viking machines.  I'm excited to try that out this afternoon on some triangles, too.

Today I shopped for a  Flickr fabric swap that I participate in.  All my partners always want "modern" fabric, which I don't keep on hand. The newest shop in town calls itself "contemporary" and has lots of fabrics that modern quilters use.  While it doesn't carry the huge prints, it has several lines and basics that can appeal to many types of quilters.

I also shopped for clothes.  Uggh!  I am not a shopper.  The stuff that I want never looks good in the fitting room.  However, DH gave me gift card for a new shop nearby so I gave it a try and found some stuff.  WooHoo!


To the numbers:
Used this week: 1.25 (machine cover), 2.125 (giveaway fabric) = 3.375
Used YTD: 60.5
Added this week: 0
Gifted this week: 1.25
Added YTD: 48.75
Net used YTD: 11.75

Check out some more stash reports at Judy's Patchwork Times.


6 comments:

  1. Kris, I love the hexies you posted, and such a wonderful machine cover! Maybe you can exchange the thread as we do gifts at Christmas. Those straight stitch plates are worth their weight in gold. Great numbers, and thanks for linking to It's Hexie Friday. Love seeing all the hexie projects out there. Closes midnight Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't hand quilt either but I love hand quilting thread for stitching down bindings. It doesn't shred nearly as much as other threads -- I guess because it's meant to be pulled through the fabric many times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work.
    Greetings from Germany, Grit

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sewing machine cover is so special, what a great idea!
    I love your ahhh and thanks for the website plug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful sewing machine cover for your mom and what memories when she looks at the fabrics! Happy Mother's Day and belated Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message. I love to hear from you.