tractor

tractor
At Plum Loco Ranch, Door County, WI.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Stash report - week 8: lots o' blocks!

Springtime has hit..................for a while anyway.
Reflecting pool at Missouri Botanical Garden from mobot.org
 We had especially lovely days Wednesday through Friday which means that I didn't sew much.  My son went to preschool 4 mornings instead of 3 to make up for the bad weather. On his day off we went to the Missouri Botanical Garden.
Not a real tree, but his favorite spot in the climatron rain forest.
 Nothing was really growing yet, although the witch hazels were blooming and the daffodils were just peaking through the ground.  The novelty of being outdoors was enough to keep a 4 year old entertained.  We walked all the way around and played with puppets in the education center and read Dr. Seuss-style books about seeds and butterflies and fed fish food to the ducks and geese (still too cold for the koi to come up for food).

On the sewing side, things were rather unproductive.  I quilted some but not enough to finish a project. Still trying to figure out how I want to quilt a border.  Last night was "sew down" at my LQS and I got 5 blocks finished. 

These Hard Candy blocks are for my guild's charity committee.  Members can always donate finished quilts but we can also pick up blocks, or tops ready to be pieced, at meetings and bring them back.  An easy way to contribute.

This 12.5" Underground Railroad is also for the guild, for the Civil War BOM block exchange.

My biggest accomplishment last night was completing the  last block for the "Be Merry" Christmas BOM.  This star is 15.5" unfinished.  Now to the finishing kit, my favorite finishing kit ever, comprised of 8.5" plain blocks and double four patches!  Gotta love an easy finish.

One morning I pieced the first of five sections of my Turkish Delight BOM and took it my LQS Marti & Me club for show and tell.  I will be using Marti's Machine Quilting in Sections book to complete this one. This is my first BOM, did it right after I learned to machine piece, particularly strip piecing. 
That tag in the upper left notes which section this is so I don't get them mixed up later.
 The big story on this quilt is that the setting kit was comprised of 68 10.5" log cabin blocks!  That is a daunting number and it took me about at least 6 months just to start cutting and sewing them.  Took me another year to get them done - not b/c they're hard - b/c it's so monotonous!  One of these days I'll devote a post to all my log cabins.

Here's my Civil War fabric order that came in.  Boy! do I love getting fabric in the mail.  There are 6 half yard cuts of Jo Morton and Judie Rothermel.  I ordered from Stitch-n-Frame's winter clearance and even with shipping I got a great prices for 3 total yards.

Sew....here are the numbers:
Used this Week:    0
Used year to Date: 8.125 (7 1/8)
Added this Week:  3
Added Year to Date:  21.5
Net Used for 2011:   -13.375



How did I add 21.5 yds to my stash in less than 2 months?! Aye, aye, aye!!

Head on over to Patchwork Times to see everyone else's stash busting progress.

11 comments:

  1. I love ordering Civil War prints from Whittles...they are so cheap and good service. I haven't caved lately....hopefully I can stay that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, there is nothing like opening the mailbox and seeing a package that you know is more fabric!
    I never saw the Hard Candy blocks before, they are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Mo. Botanical Gardens!! I try to make the trip there every few years. The last time we went was during that blown glass exhibit. Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Botanic Garden. I don't remember that hollow tree from our trip there, but it was really crowded the day we went.

    I love your Turkish Delight and the Civil War fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not counting what I use but I am happy to say I haven't added any this month! :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun times with your cute little guy! Loving your blocks - and that Turkish Delight quilt is beautiful! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun hard candy blocks. Great status!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That tree brings back so many memories for me! My granddaddy had a tree that was hollow like that...we played hide and seek and played house in it all the time...years later, my 1st cousin lives on the farm and she had it taken down!!! I could not believe it!

    Love your Turkish delight quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog....I love your quilting and those candy blocks ....I think I will try that.
    Now on to the ?? about my flying geese....I absolutely love the Eleanor Burns ...Quilt In A Day Flying Geese rulers.
    They come out perfect everytime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Hard Candy blocks are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a wonderful since of color Kris, have you ever thought of painting?
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message. I love to hear from you.