After diligently working on my quilt show projects, I needed a break! While I still have plenty to do - get the binding and label on one quilt, get the label on another, and get hanging sleeves on all three - well, it just didn't sound like much fun.
Yesterday some quilty friends and I went back to the St. Louis Star Inn for a day of sewing and a great lunch made by designer Toby Lischko. It's such a pretty place out in the woods and the studio is large, well lit, has a design wall, and two stations each for pressing and cutting.
And cutting is what I did! DS told me last spring when I was piecing the large Dresden plate block that he wanted a "flower quilt." So he helped pick out about 12 batik fat quarters from my stash and we laid them out on top of the 3 yards of Hoffman 1895 #360 ("Waikiki"). The Waikiki will be the centers and background for each block.
**Aside: As all my quilty friends know, Waikiki is my favorite fabric ever! It is just the right shade of blue - no green, no brown, just blue. It makes me happy!! Once we decided to use the 3 yards from my stash, I used a coupon and bought 3 more yards - ya know, just to have on hand. Thinking seriously about buying a bolt, if I'm a good little quilter and get lots of UFOs finished!
Not only did I get all 126 blades cut for the plate, but I got two stitched together, thanks to the nice big design wall in the studio.
And here's why DS calls them "flowers." Forget about plates, they look like daisies!
And, I decided to start another project that I've had in mind for some time now. I've made quilts for pretty much everyone (that wants one) except my step dad. Well, his favorite color is yellow and we all know how hard it is to find yellows, and then to find prints that would work for a man. So, when we've travelled I've collected yellow batiks.
We have a some shops in our area with great batik selections but yellow - boy! it's hard to find. There is a shop in downtown Sturgeon Bay, WI, that had the best selection of yellow batiks ever! The owner said they tried to stock hard-to-find colors.
So, I'm using black and white prints, which I've been stockpiling for the past year or so, plus some scraps from previous projects, like the bowling balls and tires.
It will be a traditional "T" block using a pattern in one of my FQ books. Each FQ yields 2 blocks and I need 14 FQs each of B&W's and yellow. Well, I'm just using 2-3 pieces of yardage for the yellow.
I figure sewing the HSTs together could be my leaders/enders while I finish piecing DS's "flowers." Of course, first I have to get back to my quilt show projects!
Here's a great, big meat tray I got at Aldi a few days ago. It's perfect for holding some leader/ender pieces. And, well, just about anything.
Got in a couple of hexies, too.
Quitly friend Karen shared a couple of polka dot strips from her Berenstain Bears jelly roll. And, Toby always has a big bin of scraps - I restrained myself and picked up this delicate green print and the pretty yellow (kinda have yellow on the brain this week).
My numbers haven't changed much. Better get that last show project bound!
Used this week: 0
Used year to date: 12.150
Added this week: 0.125
Added year to date: 4.625
Net used for 2012: 7.525
Please click over to Patchwork Times and see other stash reports.
Have a great week!