tractor

tractor
At Plum Loco Ranch, Door County, WI.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Beautiful Day (stash report week 20)

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers in blogland!


I am getting ready to go back to Indiana to do some more cleaning out at my grandma's house.  Uggh - each trip gets a little harder.  It's like renewing the grief and loss all over again.  It takes about two days back at home to recover my balance again. 


There are several boxes sitting in our house filled with Grandma's sewing stuff, quilt blocks, and glassware that I haven't looked at since packing them.  I have to put them away some day.  Of course, they have to have a place to be put away first!  So, when I'm done cleaning out Grandma's house, I need to clean out my own house!


Here is one of the quilts I always liked.  Grandma did not make this, her mother-in-law made it.  It's twin size. This pic is sideways.  




For some reason my grandma insisted on folding it over the back of one of her living room chairs for the past 20 years or so.  Amazingly, there no tears but it is very worn, and soft.  It is soiled where people sat back against it over the years.  I have some quilt soak to clean it.




Then there are 45 of these Scrap Bag Bouquet blocks.  Grandma definitely pieced these.  Green was one of her favorite colors. There's leftover fabric from the  scrap squares in what I brought home and have cut for the Fading Charms quilt.






Found the pattern in a drawer after finding the blocks so I could put them together!  They will have to be pressed and starched and squared up for a someday project.


One evening this week my quilty friends got together to work on cutting squares for our Fading Charms quilts.  Since we need about 850 squares, I will have to add some fabric to grandma's to get some more variety, but I can't wait to start the mindless chain piecing.


Monday I came down with a cold which kept me down til yesterday, which I spent doing lots of catch-up yard work (which means I slept very well).   I added more flowers to my hexie flower garden while resting this week, however.  


Monday was my birthday.  And today I get to travel about 235 miles alone with DS and our dog, Ruby.  Hhhmmm.... that massage gift certificate that DH gave me will be used when I get back next week.


My numbers have not changed, but it's not for lack of looking at all the internet sales!


Used this week: 0
Used year to date: 17.025

Added this week (purchased/won): 0
Added this week (inherited/gifted): 0

Added year to date (purchased/won): 19.431
Added year to date (inherited/gifted): 41


Added year to date total: 60.431
Net used for 2012: -43.406



Please click over to Patchwork Times and see other stash reports.

Have a great week!




6 comments:

  1. is your grandma's MIL your great grandmother? If so, how exciting to have a quilt made by her! Cleaning out someone else;s house is always heart breaking. Have a safe trip and happy birthday. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so much self control! I am really looking forward to seeing how your Fading Charms quilts turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drive safely. Love your grandmother's blocks. They look so fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grandmother was obviously quite creative and that gene seems to have passed down to you. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that scrap bag boquet block!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful blocks and a precious quilt! It is tough to sort through things, I know. Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message. I love to hear from you.