tractor

tractor
At Plum Loco Ranch, Door County, WI.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

First Spring Break (stash report week 12)


And, it's snowing again, non-stop since about 8am!  Crazy, huh?  Today the last of the 50 lb. bag of sunflower seeds went into the bird feeders.  That was bag number two.  We've fed the birds, and squirrels, 100 lbs. of sunflower seeds this season!

Fortunately, we had plenty of warning as we had to go get DS from Grandma and Papa's a day earlier than planned.  Yes, that is how I survived our first spring break - my mom came to the rescue Thursday!

During part of the travel I got to stop at a quilt shop.  And, yes, I did more damage to the stash numbers.  I stopped in Effingham, Illinois, at The Wooden Spool (formerly Angie's Nine Patch). I had been here once before a few years ago.  We travel through Effingham all the time on our way to Indiana but usually the timing isn't right for the shop hours or we just don't have the time.

I stopped to look for perle cotton.  There must be some little stitching shop in St. Louis that sells perle cotton in more colors than I can get at Joann's but I've not found it.  And only one LQS carries any hand embroidery supplies and that is floss.  I don't care for floss.  It tangles so easily when I'm not using it.

perle cotton.jpg
Anyway, I found my three colors to work on my bird applique project from last fall.  That's what I did while DH drove yesterday.  More to go but it was so nice to relax with some handwork.

The Wooden Spool has lots of needlework and quilting supplies and the prices on their fabric are great.  I saw a bolt of Kaffe for $7.99/yd regular price.  The most expensive batik I saw was Timeless Treasures for $9.99/yd.

florals.jpg
Of course, what caught my eye were these sale fabrics at $3.99/yd.  That dainty blue print will work well with an April Cornell jelly roll that I bought years ago thinking I would make something for my mother-in-law. Now, I'm thinking about another Pineapple Blossom for her.

The pretty floral - well, I love pretty florals and this should work well for a pattern called the "Quilt Camp Tote" that has been sitting in a drawer for ages.





DSC03103.jpg
I also got this cute wool kit for less than $17. One shop here had some of these kits and I almost bought one but resisted.  This kit was marked down and has everything I need.  I've already put the background together and am anxious to see how the wool works.

First, I must get the Pineapple Blossom top together.  The blocks are all in one piece and I'm working on the bonus triangle border.  So, today is a border day.  Not a bad thing to do when the snow is coming down.


To the numbers:
Used this week: 0
Used YTD: 44.00
Added this week: 5
Added YTD: 34.25
Net used YTD: 8.75

Okay - seriously - no more additions til more projects are finished, and started! I'm almost back in the red!!

Check out some more stash reports at Judy's Patchwork Times.

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I would have bought the floral too - it's beautiful. Your numbers are fine - I predict you wont' reach red - lots of nice projects will spur your use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would we do without our grandma's and Papas? Pretty colors of thread.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message. I love to hear from you.