tractor

tractor
At Plum Loco Ranch, Door County, WI.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Productive week and great mail (stash report week 24)

Howdy!


I've been home for over a week!  No traveling, just trying to get the house in order after our U-Haul load and adjust to our summer schedule of swim lessons and T-ball.  We brought home a couple chairs, an old oak dining room table and chairs, a maple hutch (and some dishes), an oak secretary, and my grandpa's roll top desk.  
The desk went straight from the U-Hau truck to the refinisher.  All stain was gone from the top board, it was bare wood.  Isn't it lovely now? It sits near my sewing corner by the patio door.
I always remember the desk being a dark color, so we chose a walnut stain.  I might be from the country but there are very few light oak pieces that I like.


However, here's the exception!  My grandma's secretary.  In cleaning it up after the move I discovered that it is oak veneer over hardwood.  I always thought it was solid oak.
Grandma always told me that she and Grandpa had it refinished when they got married, so I assumed that they bought it someplace.   Mom said that her dad actually bought it when she was young, around 1945, and that Grandma always had it.  The other pieces that we brought home I could probably part with, but these two are special.


(Oh - this "grandpa" is actually my mom's step- father, grandma's second husband.  I spent more time with him than either of my biological grandpas.  He was a widower who never had any children and he did a lot for my parents and me. He was a farmer and his mother was a quilter.


As for mail, it has been a  great week! Leona sent me a birthday package - wasn't that nice?  She does these monthly packages for her blog followers and she is one busy lady.


And then, I got a special package from Aurifil.  One day while I was down with that awful cold at the beginning of May, I entered Aurifil's Facebook contest to guess the colors in the upcoming Pat Sloan thread kit.  We only guessed 4 correctly but I was the first one to do so, sew they sent me a kit!  
Pat doesn't have these on her website yet.  It goes with her new Moda line that's due out in October, with some lovely batiks btw, called Eat Your Fruits and Veggies.  


For the first time in at least two months, I walked into a Joann's! Cutting scraps reminded me it would be handy to have that little 2.5" ruler pictured above.  So, out came the 50% off coupon.  And, cleaning around my sewing corner and this new thread kit reminded me that I needed a thread organizer, out came another 50% coupon.
I had seen this double sided one in the Connecting Threads catalog and checked Joann's - there it was.  It holds 46 spools.  I'm gonna get two more today for my step-dad to carry his embroidery thread (they're 50% off, no coupon needed).


DS was a winner in the May for Me Bingo game.  He was so excited to get a Bingo.  Sharon sent him a package of magnets to paint (he loves to paint! which I didn't get a shot of b4 he opened the box) and 2 yards of this cute animal print.  
He wants me to make something.  I suggested a placemat and maybe runners for his new night stand and chest of drawers that we brought from Grandma's house.


Finally, I got the last of Grandma's fabric tallied up.  In three large cuts if fabric there are about 19 yards!  There's 10 yards of the cheater print alone. However, it's only 36" wide.  But the muslin makes up for it by being about 54" wide and there's about 5 yards of that.  The sunflower print comes to about 4 yards.


Sew, I have plenty of fabric, plenty of thread, and plenty of cutting tools.  Now, to make the time to get some sewing done!!


Used this week: 0
Used year to date: 17.025

Added this week (purchased/won): 2.25
Added this week (inherited/gifted): 19

Added year to date (purchased/won): 21.681
Added year to date (inherited/gifted): 60


Added year to date total: 81.681
Net used for 2012: -64.656


Please click over to Patchwork Times and see other stash reports.

Have a great week!


2 comments:

  1. The pieces of furniture that are the most beloved in my house came from my grandparents - such sweet memories. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you liked the package! What did you treat yourself to with the gift card? The furniture is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message. I love to hear from you.