tractor

tractor
At Plum Loco Ranch, Door County, WI.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Pesto!

Last week I harvested my basil and made pesto.  I've been doing this for several years because basil grows so easily from seed in containers on my deck.  The only thing it needs is regular water.  This year has not been a good for basil - it's not as prolific as in the past.  Maybe it's the heat or long stretches of rain we had earlier, I just don't know.

I started with a big bowl, which I should have photographed from an angle other than the top!




This is some oregano that had gone to seed.  Makes a nice bouquet.

 




Here are the basil leaves ready to go in the chopper.  I don't have a large food processor, just a 2 cup chopper from Wal-Mart.














Here's the pesto bible!  It has all sorts of different pesto - it's not all about basil.  There are also recipes for using dry herbs when fresh aren't available.

 


Sorry this image of the the final product is blurry.  7 - 1/2 cup containers for the freezer.  That make s a total of 12 so far - not many, really.  Once the weather cools down we may have to have some pesto chicken pizza.
























No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message. I love to hear from you.