Last night was Sew Down at my LQS and we decided to make Just One Star blocks. We had a big pile of scraps that we brought to share, wish I had gotten a pic. Five of us made eleven blocks.
If you add that up you know we made more than one. Well, one of our ladies is so proficient with star blocks she churned out 6 of them!
I completed one other star block last night - for my guild's Civil War BOM.
Since I've finished two projects, this week I committed to two more. Although, these projects are small, wallhangings, they really don't count as new projects in regards to my New Year's resolution. I gave myself an out in that respect and specified no new quilt tops without a finish.
What are the new projects? For the first time I joined a blog-land quilt along (QAL for short) - not one, but two, in the same week! The first one is with Sew Lux Fabrics. There are three options/sizes: to use a charm pack, FQs, or a layer cake. I chose the charm square option that finishes at 20x26 - perfect size and a great chance to use up some charms that have been sitting in my drawers for about a year.
Check out Sew Lux Fabrics and Gifts. This store has yardage and pre cuts but I especially like the small bundles that they put together, maybe 4-6 FQs. Great for small projects and much easier on the pocket book than buying the FQ bundles from the manufacturers.
Lynn of Lily's Quilts is hosting a dresden plate quilt along. She is also providing size options - yeah! The plates are large and the 30x30 option is one block, the 60x90 option is 6 blocks. The plate is not appliqued to the background as they are traditionally constructed, so we will be sewing a curved seam. That's a new one for me. We will be using a quilt as you go method that I will read about, although, it may be mute since I am only doing one block. New techniques in a small project = very exciting!
My other new project is making a mug rug for the swap at Leona's Quilting Adventure. My partner likes Civil War fabrics. I've shown some of my recent CW fabric purchases but I felt I needed some variety. I have blues and browns but no yellow/cheddar or green.
One of our local guilds had their biannual show this weekend so I shopped the vendors and found one booth that had CW fabrics and they had two yellows. Here are my buys: one 1/2 yd, 2 FQs, and a pattern (not pictured are two used quilt mags for $.50 each).
That pattern is so cute. It's a miniature! The double wedding ring blocks in this one finish at 3-3/4". This is definitely a someday project.
Here are two little coin pouches I made for my son to carry his allowance in. I used this tutorial from pmthreads. It said the pouch finished at 4x3.25 but - wow- that is small. So, I made another one a bit larger. This was truly one of the fastest project I've ever made. If I had more zippers on hand I would have made a few more.
So, on to the numbers:
Used this Week: 0
Used year to Date: 27.375 (27 3/8)
Added this Week: 1
Added Year to Date: 26
Net Used for 2011: +1.375 ( +2 3/8)
Click over the Judy's blog at Patchwork Times to see more stash reports.