tractor

tractor
At Plum Loco Ranch, Door County, WI.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Small Vacation (stash report week 29)

Untitled


We spent most of this past week in Fish Creek, Door County, Wisconsin.  That's where my header photo was taken years ago.  It's so rural and peaceful and laid back.  This was our third trip and definitely not our  last.

Untitled

Our first stop after settling into the condo was a drive-in.  DS loved it!  There was a nice playground. The concession stand was great and the restrooms were clean.  The most unusual thing for us, living in this urban desert, is that we got a bit chilly when the sun went down.  We forgot that nighttime temps drop elsewhere.  When we arrived back home a few days later it was 88 degrees at 9 P.M.

Untitled

We swam in the pools, at the beach in Lake Michigan, we played chess on a giant board, and had our food delivered by train at P C Junction.  DS insisted on accompanying DH for 9 holes of golf on the small course at the resort.

Untitled

So, I took a walk.


DSC03356

Between car travel and some down time here and there, I got lots of hand stitching done -  bit of applique', a bit of embroidery, and a bit of EPP.

DS said he wanted the turtle hexie - for what is unclear, but he liked it! Before we left, I watched Hillbilly Tonya's YouTube video on EPP and how she fussy glues.  Tonya sells these great 3" hexies in her shop.  This one is called "Stepping Stones."

With all this stitching planned, I failed to pack lots of thread and no Aurifil.  I am now a hand sewing thread snob!  The Mettler metrosene in my hand work pouch knotted and shredded and was just terrible to work with. From now on I will pack only my thin cotton threads: Aurifil, YLI Soft Touch, or Masterpeice.






DSC03353

When our mail was delivered I had two packages.  I've shown you my swap fabrics and the first to arrive was the neutral 5" charm swap.  I sent in 2 yards so I received 2 sets of 56 neutral charms, 112 total.

Leona hosted this swap and she also sent her last stash batiks - 12 F8's!  How sweet of her!!  They are lovely!!








DSC03354

I also received a tiny package of 2.5" charms.  I sent 50 different squares and received 50 in return.  With all the scraps I have cut, it is amazing that it is so difficult to gather more than about 70 different fabrics for these postage stamp swaps.  And, that is why I am swapping, to get some variety.





DSC03359

While on vacation, I did not go into a single quilt shop.  Yesterday was BOM day at the LQS and our sew day.  I used the last bit of the shop hop gift certificate and got 1/2 yd each of these two white on black prints.






DSC03357
2 strips and 2 more triangles to go!



Easy Street kicked my pa-tooty yesterday.  My blocks were getting a bit wonky or something.  I think I need to square up my flying geese b4 I go any further.

Sooo, I switched over to Pineapple Blossom #2.  This is for my MIL and the blocks will finish at 12" since I used a jelly roll.  This is such an easy pattern - simple prep/cutting and nice, mindless sewing. Sometimes that's just what a gal needs!!



Used this week: 0
Used YTD: 66.58
Added this week: 3
Gifted this week: 1.25
Added YTD: 80.25
Net used YTD: -13.67

Check out some more stash reports at Judy's Patchwork Times.

Have a great week!






4 comments:

  1. We love Door County too - such a beautiful place! You got a lot done while in the car and I love those teals you got!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those teal fabrics and the black and whites, they would look fantastic contrasted against each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice shots of vacation. Door County is on my "to do" list one day.
    Looks like you got lots of pretty fabrics to add to your stash. I love your cute flower petal block too.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message. I love to hear from you.