tractor

tractor
At Plum Loco Ranch, Door County, WI.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Sew it begins

Sewing in the New Year, that is.  Finally dusted off the machine that had been sitting since before traveling for the holidays and used up some stash.

Of the all the blogs I follow, one of them posted this link to hanging storage baskets that would be perfect for my son's room (scroll to the bottom of the post for other basket sizes).  And they are perfect for a few other places in the house, too.  One basket this size, approx 8x10x9, takes one yard of fabric and one yard of Decor bond.  I went to 3 stores and finally found Decor bond, none at Joanns or Hancock's but Hobby Lobby had it and I had their coupon, too.  Unfortunately I didn't get enough to do more than one basket - wanted to test it first.

As you can see, my son has the idea.

This one fits perfectly on the deep book shelf that is already in his room. Sew more decor bond and maybe another yard of novelty fabric from the box store and we have an organizer with 4-6 baskets without spending $60 at Target for the Circo Cube Organizer and baskets that are in this week's ad.

Another little ditty I made was a hostess box as seen on Sew Mama Sew. These called for 10" squares and I had a sample pack of organic Robert Kaufmann fabric, Free to Grow by Nancy Mimms, that I got at Spring Market.

 There were 9 squares in the bundle and I had no plans to acquire more for a larger project.  Most modern prints are NOT my style, esp for quilting. These are small doses in a cute package.



This one I will keep and use as a thread catcher.  It's a little wonky but I expected the first one to be a bit off. I will make some more to give as little gifties.

It almost didn't get made - I measured and cut the corners wrong - then after I finally cut the fusible correctly, I failed to turn it over and that piece is now adhered to the pressing cloth (aka muslin)!  By that time I was determined to get this little guy put together.  It really is an easy project, on a good day!

Sew, what did you get to sew this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message. I love to hear from you.