tractor

tractor
At Plum Loco Ranch, Door County, WI.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Stash Report Week 21 and happenings

Happy Sunday, Everyone!  How was your week?


Mine was a bit off - no car to run errands or go to the gym or take me to the library to get some work done -  a bit frustrating.  The weather was nice enough most of the the week so that I could walk the dog and walk to pick DS up at preschool.  The cicadas are showing themselves this week and DS loved watching and counting them on our walk home.

My birthday present from my DH arrived this week.

A soft carrying case for my featherweight.  The original case has a broken handle and I don't need to carry around all those attachments, so it's sitting on a shelf.  This case has a shoulder strap - nice! - it was much easier to take to our monthly Sew Down at the LQS than my big rolling bag.


The first of two little projects that actually got finished this week was a pincushion that I made with my very first hexie.  I gave it to one of my quilty friends last night.  I worked on basting a few more hexies, which is so relaxing.

For the second finish, the binding finally got put on this little doll quilt that I pieced ages ago.


Here are two 9 patches.  These are for the first quilt project I started about 6 years ago when I began quilting again after quitting my paying job.  That was before I knew how to use a rotary cutter or strip piece or even where the quilt shops were located.  I just did them the way my grandma taught me to all those years ago.

All the blocks are hand pieced 9 patch variations in pinks and greens - either squares or HSTs, nothing smaller or strangely shaped - very therapeutic, that hand work.   Now that I know how to use the machine and rotary cut, they are all still hand pieced, just to be consistent. About five more blocks will give me 60- 6.5" blocks.

This new issue came in the mail this week.  I won a copy over at Judy's blog.  There are some really pretty blocks in here - lots of paper piecing and applique - fun!

The latest issue of The Quilt Life arrived this week.  It's my only quilt mag subscription. What mags do like?


Here's a book that I found on the ex libris sale shelf at the local library.  I think I paid 50 cents for it, since it's a paperback.  Now that's a deal!

Here's the block for my guild's Civil War BOM - it's called Union Star.  I usually do two; one 12.5" and one 6.5".  Well this one took about 2 hours and measures at 12.25."  I'm not doing another!  For my small block I will do the block that Barbara Brackman posted on her Civil War blog yesterday, Underground Railroad. 
There were 8 flying geese units in this block so I used the trimmings as leaders and enders which resulted in these 1.75" HSTs.  Not sure how may are there - 2 from each FGU would yield 16 little squares,

I had a 60% off coupon for Joann's that was burning a whole in my coupon holder.  Have any of you used this batting from Mountain Mist?  For the price thought I'd give it a try.


How do you know when it's time to stop sewing at the late night sew down?  

When your friendship star blocks go from this....

....to this

LOL!  I packed it up and came home!

Woohoo!  One yard out for my giveaway!!!  It's the little things, isn't it?

I didn't count the scrap box that I received from Tamara in the "added" column, so I didn't count the doll quilt this week. 

Here are the numbers:
Used this Week:  1
Used year to Date:  31.75 (31 3/4)
Added this Week:  0
Added Year to Date:  53.715
Net Used for 2011:   -21.875

Head over to Judy's blog for more stash busting reports.

3 comments:

  1. 2nd attempt (bloger is acting up): love your 2 hr block! And you sure have lots going on at your place. quiltmaker mag is my favorite. Love their patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hexagon pin cushion! Hexies are on my "want to try" list, but I haven't worked up the courage yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hexagon pincushion and such a sweet doll quilt. LOVE the Union Star and so funny about your Friendship Star block!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message. I love to hear from you.