tractor

tractor
At Plum Loco Ranch, Door County, WI.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Fitting it in....

Since my sewing corner has to be packed away soon, 'til after Christmas, I have been trying to finish up a few things.  I decided after last year that I would not be sewing Christmas presents this year.  Turns out that we are hosting the DH's family this year a few days before Christmas, dog sitting, and then will be hosting the big day meal with both sets of parents.

Sewing deadlines are not looming, however, I have to get the house in order, etc.  All that stuff stresses me out.  Well, this afternoon DS gets his birthday pictures taken and we usually do a couple family shots, too.  After running around yesterday getting everything in order and hemming DS's black pants, he and I are taking it easy.  DS is watching Curious George on Netflix and I cut out some stuff for one last sewing stint this Sunday.

Here's a panel that I bought years ago from Hancock's.  It's a door hanging. Then I realized that I didn't know how to free motion quilt and I knew it wouldn't look as good if I just straight lined it.  Sew, it sat on the shelf - for another year, maybe two.  I know it was basted last year and I just didn't get to it with all the other projects and holiday traveling. I need to put some loops on with the binding for hanging - better go cut those before I forget!

The secret to getting started on FMQ project seems to be if I tell myself, "it's OK, it doesn't have to be perfect, just get going, it will look fine."

This one was lots of fun to quilt trying to make things stand out a little bit more.  My stitches aren't noticeable since the print is the focus and it isn't a quilt so it won't fall apart.  I'll put up a better picture when it's done.  Why didn't I do this earlier?!



 

This morning I got the binding cut and ready. 

Also on the table are the pieces for 4 Green Bag Lady shopping bags that I cut from some of that fabric I brought home from my mom. 

On the right are strips cut from 5 FQs for the Clover & Violet Tote.  I am so behind! I decided that rather than cutting 4" squares from the strips, I will leave mine as strips.  Fewer pieces, fewer seams, faster project!

For the body of the bag I need a 20x44 pieced top. Yes, I am going to use pre-made binding for the ties and the binding.  It matches.  And, it is a market tote bag, about the size of a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods paper shopping bag. 

It's like I read on another blog a few weeks ago, "who told us we have to make our binding?"  My grandma didn't make binding, she usually folded her backing over.  Or, she used this premade stuff.  Now, don't get me wrong, I usually do make my binding, like for the door hanging, but I could just as easily have purchased some premade in red.  It's just the point, we don't have to make it for every project. The quilt police will not come knocking.

Well, I'm off to cut those hanging strips! Check out some more great Whoop Whoop! projects at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

Namaste


4 comments:

  1. Love the panel! You are so right about binding, I just never think about using the premade unless my project has curves. I hate making bias binding
    Whoop Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute panel - funny how we put things off and then ask 'why'. If I can find the right pre-made bias binding - I get it! House cleaning - pegging away at that myself. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Christmas panel is really a cute one. I imagine it'll look great when you're done. I too put off the quilting because of free-motion trepidation...and I even took a class! and did well in the class! It's always that 'first step'. I've intended to make some shopping bags too since some of the stores in our area now charge paper and plastic. Haven't managed it yet though. LOL, I don't wait around for the quilt police to come knocking either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your door hanging! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message. I love to hear from you.